[Samba] GFS and samba problem, again

Thu Oct 5 06:16:18 GMT 2006

On Wed, Oct 04, 2006 at 02:15:45PM +0200, sandra-llistes wrote:
> When we try to access from a single windows client it works fine, but
> when we try to access to the same file from 2 or more windows clients
> simoultaneously, windows hangs and samba also does. This seems not to
> happen with concurrent access to different files or with linux clients.

To really figure out what's going on you need to strace the
smbd process.

strace -ttT -o /tmp/smbd.out -p <smbd-pid>

If you have the hang then wait some seconds, kill the
appropriate smbd and look at /tmp/smbd.out where the smbd
has been stuck. 99% it's in a filesystem related call, and
then it's a GFS problem. I'm pretty sure this is GFS because
I do not see any reason why Samba itself would behave
differently when running on two cluster nodes.

BTW, it is a _REALLY_ bad idea to export the same fs via two
cluster nodes at the same time with current Samba. It
_might_ be ok because you have one read only and only one
r/w. If you had both r/w then data corruption would
inevitably follow, we're right now working on a cluster
version of Samba that would allow this properly.

Volker