[Samba] problems adding a computer to LDAP domain in 3.0.23c

Greg Dickie greg at max-t.com
Wed Oct 4 16:05:29 GMT 2006

Hi,

  In 3.0.23 and 3.0.23c in our domain controlled by samba with an
ldapsam backend when I try to add a machine to the domain I now get this
message:

[2006/10/04 12:08:03, 0] passdb/pdb_interface.c:pdb_new_rid(1067)
  'algorithmic rid base' is set but a passdb backend without algorithmic
RIDs is chosen.
  Please map all used groups using 'net groupmap add', set the maximum
used RID using
  'net setmaxrid' and remove the parameter

While it seems very helpful the net setmaxrid command does not appear to
exist. If I just remove the algorithmic rid base parameter then smbd
dies on startup because its not there.

Any ideas on how to proceed?

Thanks,
Greg