[Samba] XP/W2K on Samba 3

B_Kloss b_kloss at web.de
Tue Oct 3 14:09:48 GMT 2006

Okay, let me try to explain it the simple way as I understand it.
We are running a debian-server with debian-clients and also a mixture of
WIN98SE, WIN2000 and XP-clients. Users are logging in from all these four
types of clients. They have one personal share on /home/username accessible
from all types of clients (via SAMBA for WinXXXX-clients).
This is working fine, but as soon as a user is logging into the domain on one
of the WIN2000 or XP-clients for the first time on this client, the client is
creating a local user-directory.

In a first step I would like to avoid this creating of local user-directories,
because after a while each user has a local home-directory on every
win2000/XP-client. Opening the explorer he should only find one home
directory, which is his samba-share on the server.

In a second step it would be great, if he is trying to save data, WORD or what
ever automatically offers the users samba-share for saving data.

What I do not want to offer is a personal desktop that is available from every
computer he is logging in. I want to have the Win2000 or XPdesktop the same
for all users. They can use the Linux-KDE-computers if they want their own
desktop.

How can this be achieved?
Thank you for helping.