[Samba] Joining windows client to Samba Domain

Gareth Cummings gareth.cummings at globoforce.com
Tue Oct 3 13:26:11 GMT 2006

Hi

I have recently set-up Samba 3.0.10-0.1 on Suse 9.1.  All is working
fine, I can create users, groups, see my network shares, grant access to
them etc.  Recently I have tried to set-up the Samba server as a PDC, I
have configured the smb.conf and from looking through different
tutorials and notes it seems to be correct.  However when I try and add
a windows client to the domain I get an error in regards to the client
being unable to look up the domain name on the wins server.

As far as I can make out I have configured the samba server correctly to
be a wins server by adding the wins support = Yes to the smb.conf file
however for some reason I am still unable to verify the domain name via
the client.  I do not think this is a client issue as it is able to join
a different Samba domain on a different network.  Below is my smb.conf
file I was hoping someone could help.

/[global]
        workgroup = TEST
        passwd chat = *New*Password* %n\n*Re-enter*new*password* %n\n
*Password*changed*
        username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
        syslog = 0
        name resolve order = wins bcast hosts
        add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd -m '%u'
        delete user script = /usr/sbin/userdel -r '%u'
        add group script = /usr/sbin/groupadd '%g'
        delete group script = /usr/sbin/groupdel '%g'
        add user to group script = /usr/sbin/usermod -G '%g' '%u'
        add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd -s /bin/false -d
/var/lib/nobody '%u'
        logon script = scripts\login.bat
        logon path =
        logon drive = X: