[Samba] problem accessing Windows XP as a client

Norman S. Clerman clerman at fuse.net
Mon Oct 2 23:40:21 GMT 2006

Samba friends,

	I have a computer running SUSE Linux 10.1. At work all the computers on
the network, except this one, are running either Windows 2000 Pro or
Windows 2000 Server. The computers are physically connected through a
router. I am an administrator on all the Windows computers and have no
problem whatsoever mounting administrative shares such as C$ using smbmnt.

	Using the same Linux computer at home, I try to access a computer
running Windows XP Pro, on which I'm also an administrator. I have
turned off simple file sharing on the Windows XP computer. The computers
are also connected through a router. I can't access using smbclient, and
I can't mount using smbmnt. The Windows XP computer has the name of
APPLE, and when I try

smbclient -L APPLE

or

smbclient -L apple