[Samba] change passwd from windows--more grief

Steve Glasser steve at fpig.net
Mon Oct 2 22:50:06 GMT 2006

Hi group,

I can't seem to get passwd change from windows to work.  I am running
samba 3.0.20-3.1.20060mdk installed from rpms on Mandriva 2006; the
clients are windows XP sp2.  When I try to change passwd from windows I
get "You do not have permission to change your password".

What am I doing wrong?

My global smb.conf is below.
>From log.smbd I think this error pertains to the windows error:

[2006/10/02 15:25:00, 3] smbd/chgpasswd.c:chgpasswd(457)
  chgpasswd: Password change (as_root=Yes) for user: foo
  PAM: unable to obtain the new authentication token - is password to
weak?

This is while using a new passwd of 9 random letters/numbers.

Any suggestions welcome, thanks in advance

dos charset = 850
        unix charset = ISO8859-1
        workgroup = DELTAGRADING
        server string = %h server (Samba, Mandrake)
        passdb backend = tdbsam
        pam password change = Yes
        passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
        passwd chat = *Enter\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n *Retype\snew
\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n .
        passwd chat debug = Yes
        username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
        unix password sync = Yes
        log level = 3
        name resolve order = wins bcast hosts
        time server = Yes
        printcap name = CUPS
        add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd -m %u
        delete user script = /usr/sbin/userdel -r %u
        add group script = /usr/sbin/groupadd %g
        delete group script = /usr/sbin/groupdel %g
        add user to group script = /usr/sbin/usermod -G %g %u
        add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd -s /bin/false
-d /dev/null %u
        logon script = scripts\%U.bat
        logon path =
        logon drive = H: