[Samba] How to copy a file from linux to window pc

Gary Dale garydale at torfree.net
Mon Oct 2 12:54:42 GMT 2006

Indunil Jayasooriya wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have file at /opt/mailbackup/mailbackup.tar.gz (this is a Linux
> Machine)
>
> I want to put this file to a windows pc.
>
> What is the command to do it.
>
> can I use something like the following.
>
> mount -t smbfs
>
> Then How to use this ?

There are two basic options: either you can share a folder in Windows
and copy the file from the Linux machine, or you can share your
/opt/mailbackup folder in Linux and copy the file from the Windows
machine. I don't recommend the first option because of security issues
with Windows.

To do the second, you need to be running Samba on your Linux box.

First create an entry in /etc/samba/smb.conf (do this as root) for the
folder you want to share. Then restart the smbd and nmbd daemons. On the
Windows machine, mount the share then copy the file to where you want it.

Another option is to e-mail the file as an attachment to the Windows user.