[Samba] Re: WINS over subnets

Edmundo Valle Neto edmundo.valle at terra.com.br
Mon Oct 2 02:38:55 GMT 2006

> Yes, I put debug level to 2, and I saw that the server was always
> elected as the master. And also that the machines successfully
> registered to the server.
> My smb.conf (a bit modified since my first post, but the symptoms are
> the same though) :
>
> [global]
>     display charset = ASCII
>     workgroup = BOUFFARD
>     netbios aliases = hgsserver
>     server string = PARTAGES
>     interfaces = eth0
>     security = SHARE
>     map to guest = Bad User
>     root directory = /
>     pam password change = Yes
>     passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
>     passwd chat debug = Yes
>     username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
>     unix password sync = Yes
> #    log level = 2
> #    syslog = 3
> #    syslog only = Yes
>     log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
>     max log size = 50
>     debug timestamp = No
>     time server = Yes
>     server signing = auto
>     socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_SNDBUF=8192 SO_RCVBUF=8192
>     printcap name = /etc/printcap
>     os level = 32
>     lm announce = Yes
>     preferred master = Yes
>     domain master = Yes
>     local master = no
>     dns proxy = No
>     wins support = Yes
>     ldap ssl = no
>     remote announce = 192.168.3.255/BOUFFARD
>     remote browse sync = 192.168.3.255 224.0.0.1
>     usershare path =
>     winbind enum users = Yes
>     winbind enum groups = Yes
>     winbind use default domain = Yes
>     guest ok = Yes
>     hosts allow = 192.168.2.0/24, 192.168.3.0/24
>     cups options = raw
>
> [...] (some shares declarations)
>
> I'll come with more results on benchmarks ASAP. Thanks for your help
> and patience.
>
> Regards,
>
>     Hoggins!

Theres some options that I think are not needed in your config, but
probably doesnt cause that problem that you have, in exeption of this one:

local master = no

Try to set it to yes, I never tried to set it to no and let it be only
the DMB to see what happens but the samba docs have something to say
about that, "If you want Samba to be a DMB, then it is recommended that
you also set preferred master to yes, because Samba will not become a
DMB for the whole of your LAN or WAN IF IT IS NOT ALSO A LMB ON ITS OWN
BROADCAST ISOLATED SUBNET". Anyway its at least recommended to samba be
the LMB too.

Regards.

Edmundo Valle Neto