[Samba] Samba and Heimdal Kerberos V Authentication

Matt Proud matt.proud.list at gmail.com
Wed Nov 29 06:17:55 GMT 2006

Hello,

I maintain a network of numerous Linux workstations, several Apples,
and a few Windows machines. The Apples and Windows XP machines already
grab shared data via Samba and the remaining data is exported to the
Linux machines via NFS.

I am in the process of migrating the existing authentication system
from XYZ123 to Kerberos and going to place user data---with the
exception of passwords into OpenLDAP.

I am curious whether it is possible to have Samba authenticate against
Kerberos as a password backend, particularly with the Heimdal
implementation. I really am not much of a Windows guru and try to
avoid the OS as much as possible; but I have gathered that from 2000
onwards it has supported Kerberos V for authentication. Would this
mean that the winbind backend could be used to talk to the Kerberos
server?

I really want to avoid having to write any custom scripts or wrappers
to synchronize passwords between Samba and Kerberos.

What are everybody's thoughts?

Thank you,

Matt