[Samba] Shadow Copy Client blank, with error in logs

James A. Dinkel jdinkel at bucoks.com
Tue Nov 28 21:57:43 GMT 2006

Is this a bug?!

Ok, upon further investigation, I've discovered that the Previous
Versions does not work when access the share through a "nested" drive
mapping.  By "nested" I mean we have the H: drive in Windows mapped to
\\SambaServer\share\DepartmentFolder.  If I create a drive mapping, say
X: drive to \\SambaServer\share, then the Previous Version show up when
going through the X: drive (or the UNC path) but NOT when going through
the H: drive.

However, I have found a fix for this (I'll get to it in a little bit),
but it's sloppy.  This is a big problem for us, because all our users
have the H: drive mapped to a folder below the share based on what
department they are in.

So the fix is:  I created a symlink under the nested folder
("DepartmentFolder" in this case) that pointed to the same folder in the
snapshot.  I gave the symlink the "@GMT-" name that the shadow_copy
module requires, and of course created script that destroys and creates
this link along with the snapshots.

I don't know if this is an issue with the Previous Versions client, but
I would think the shadow_copy module could be patched so that it knows
to look back at the root of the file share for the snapshot.

James Dinkel