[Samba] what OS do you use for Samba?

Nathan Vidican nvidican at wmptl.com
Tue Nov 21 21:35:30 GMT 2006

James A. Dinkel wrote:
> From: Martin Sundmacher
>

>> Hi, we are using Debian since 2 years for Samba with about 200 users.
>> Yes, it is possible to do automatic Updates with Debian. We are
>> currently running Samba 3.0.23c in two Domains without any problems.
>> Version 3.0.23c is currently in 'testing' of Debian. So security
>>
> updates
>
>> will start with the next stable release of Debian.
>>

> Are you using it with Active Directory for authentication?  Do you
> update to the latest Samba from another place, or have you just been
> using what is in the "stable" repo?
>
> From: Aaron Kincer [mailto:kincera at gmail.com]
>

>> I think this comes down to what works best for you. There isn't a
>>
> magic
>
>> bullet or truly "best" distro out there. If you are unsure and/or want
>>

>> something that is easy to configure and has support if you want or
>>
> need
>
>> it, I would suggest checking out Ubuntu server. I've had great luck
>>
> with
>
>> it and out of the box it only installs what you need. In other words,
>>
> it
>
>> doesn't come with a GUI by default, but with apt-get, you could get
>>
> one
>
>> up and running in very short order if you wanted one post-install.
>>
>> I haven't tried the latest 6.10 (Edgy) release for server yet. Version
>>

>> 6.06 (Dapper) works great and comes with Samba 3.0.22 by default.
>>

> Yeah, I thought about going with Ubuntu 6.06 (I'd stick with that for
> the LTS), but it's so new.  I would feel better going with something
> with a longer, proven track record.  However, it is nice being able to
> install and set up Ubuntu for free but then have Canonical there in case
> I have an issue I just can't figure out on my own.
>

> From: Nathan Vidican
>

>> http://www.FreeBSD.org/ <-- check it out, been running Samba+LDAP
>> directory services with unified logon for Windows, Unix, and
>> Intranet/Groupware for several years now, easy to upgrade, and
>> rock-solid stability (server uptimes > 370 days).
>>

> By Samba+LDAP do you mean you are using Samba as a PDC?  I take it you
> don't use Active Directory then?

No, not using active directory. Am using samba as both a PDC, and a BDC
with nss_ldap, and pam_ldap on the unix boxes/servers, ldap_auth for
Squid, and some custom Perl handlers in Apache::mod_perl - so everything
authenticates via an LDAP tree. The likes of which is synchronized using
slurpd from one primary to two secondary LDAP servers (running
openldap). We utilize rsync to sync the data/shares between the domain
controllers nightly, should one fail the other is at the very worst -
one day behind in terms of users' roaming profiles, etc. Has worked VERY
well for us, serving approx 75 users and a little over half a terabyte
of user data. Not the largest setup out there, but it's just perfect for
a company this size and has yet to let us down.

--
Nathan Vidican
nvidican at wmptl.com