[Samba] Strange nslookup results and can´t join ad domain

Knut Kroeger tontal at gmx.net
Tue Nov 21 19:21:55 GMT 2006

Hello to all,
first, I would join a win2003 domain running in hybrid mode. It´s a SuSE
10.0 Linux box with samba 3.0.23d from sernet. I successfully got a
kerberos ticket with kinit, klist schows me the result. But I can´t join
the ad domain. After entering "net ads join -U Administrator at REALM" and
the admin pw I´ve got this error message after a few minutes(!):
utils/net_ads.c:ads_startup ads_connect: Operations error
The logfiles offers that there might be an error with the name
resolution: cannot resolve host: _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.REALM
As reported I´ve tested this with nslookup: No result on the Linuxbox,
but it works on XP clients on the same subnet (?). I´ve checked twice
the configuration of the dns on the XP machine an the Linuxbox: Identical.
I would be happy if there is anybody with a hint to solve this.

Greets

Knut