[Samba] XP clients cannot find Samba

Jerod Prothe jprothe at usd217.org
Tue Nov 21 14:15:15 GMT 2006

Hello,

I've set up Samba 3.0.22 on an Ubuntu box for testing purposes.  Below
is my smb.conf file.  The Samba server, ubuntu, is on the other side
of a Linksys WRTP54G router, serving NAT to my Windows XP clients on
the inside.  I've opened port 139 on the router, set up NetBEUI,
placed entries in the clients' hosts & lmhosts files.  For some
reason, the clients can logon to the MYWORKGROUP domain, but only on
one desktop.  Logging out and attempting to log in on another computer
get this message, "The system cannot log you on now because the domain
MYWORKGROUP is not available."

Does anyone have a suggestion?  Thanks.

#
# Sample configuration file for the Samba suite for Debian GNU/Linux.
#
#
# This is the main Samba configuration file. You should read the
# smb.conf(5) manual page in order to understand the options listed
# here. Samba has a huge number of configurable options most of which
# are not shown in this example
#
# Any line which starts with a ; (semi-colon) or a # (hash)
# is a comment and is ignored. In this example we will use a #
# for commentary and a ; for parts of the config file that you
# may wish to enable
#
# NOTE: Whenever you modify this file you should run the command
# "testparm" to check that you have not made any basic syntactic
# errors.
#

#======================= Global Settings =======================

[global]

    workgroup = MYWORKGROUP
    netbios name = UBUNTU
    server string = %h server (Samba, Ubuntu)

    passdb backend = tdbsam
    security = user
    username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
    name resolve order = wins bcast hosts
    domain logons = yes
    preferred master = yes
    wins support = yes

    # Set CUPS for printing
    printcap name = CUPS
    printing = CUPS

    # Default logon
    logon drive = H:
    #logon script = scripts/logon.bat
    logon path = \\ubuntu\profile\%U

    # Useradd scripts
    add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd -m %u
    delete user script = /usr/sbin/userdel -r %u
    add group script = /usr/sbin/groupadd %g
    delete group script = /usr/sbin/groupdel %g
    add user to group script = /usr/sbin/usermod -G %g %u
    add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd -s /bin/false/ -d
/var/lib/nobody %u
    idmap uid = 15000-20000
    idmap gid = 15000-20000

    # sync smb passwords woth linux passwords
    passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
    passwd chat = *Enter\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n
*Retype\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n .
    passwd chat debug = yes
    unix password sync = yes

    # set the loglevel