[Samba] lock problem solved?

Ruud Baart R.J.Baart at Prompt.nl
Tue Nov 21 10:29:33 GMT 2006

We use samba for students, so lots of simultaneously logins. The logins
took a long, long time. After analyses of the problem we came to the
conclusion that the I/O of the server was too slow. After fixing that --
more memory, other diskcabinet -- the server was working fast enough.

We still had slow logins but it became clear that there was an other
problem. Under heavy load conditions 30-70 simultaneously logins some
stations (mosy of the time about 5-10 workstations) would lock at the
same time and after a while (minutes!) they continued. Also at the same
time!

Captures of the network traffic showed that during such a lock of the
station there was no packet exchange between server and workstation.
Analysis of the problem showed a locking problem. Until this point we are
sure. We think the problem is that the server tells the client to wait
because a file is locked but that that the server does not tell in a
reasonable timeframe to the workstation to try again.

We have this problem with Samba 3.0.22. In my memory we have the
same problems with 3.0.21. This weekend we upgraded one server to
version 3.0.23d. It seems that the problem is solved.

Can someone from the sambateam confirm that 3.0.22 have this problem
and that this problem is solved in 3..0.23d?

Regards,
Ruud Baart