[Samba] Slow printing between subnets

steven burgess steevojb at gmail.com
Mon Nov 20 16:50:28 GMT 2006

Hi everyone

I am currently experiencing a number of win xp pro users experiencing slow
printing when access a CUPS/Samba server across 2 subnets. I have noticed
that prior to requesting prints, the printers are in a not ready state. When
a request is made it takes around 2 minutes before the print is processed.
The pc also hangs

RHEL V4
cups-1.1.22-0.rc1.9
samba-3.0.10-1.4E

For a pc on that subnet I see the following

[2006/11/17 14:19:51, 1] libsmb/cliconnect.c:cli_connect(1312)
  Error connecting to 10.100.7.58 (Operation already in progress)
[2006/11/17 14:19:51, 0]
rpc_server/srv_spoolss_nt.c:spoolss_connect_to_client(2583)
  spoolss_connect_to_client: unable to connect to SMB server on machine
R2LP11. Error was : SUCCESS - 0.

I have applied the following fix after researching similar errors in the
samba archives to no avail

Procedure:
 1. Edit the registry observing usual caution.
 2. Locate the key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Printers\DevModePerUser
 3. Remove all VALUES for Network printers of the form:
 \<print_server_name ><printer_queue_name>
 4. Locate the key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Printers\DevModes2
 5. Remove all VALUES for Network printers of the form:
 \<print_server_name><printer_queue_name>

I still get these errors on the client

Can anyone help further

Thanks in advance

Steve