[Samba] Error "process_local_master_announce error"

Michael Schurter michael at susens-schurter.com
Sun Nov 19 05:17:43 GMT 2006

Omar Lopez Limonta wrote:
> Sometimes at day in my log apears these:
>
> process_local_master_announce: Server CLIENT1 at IP 192.168.1.48 is
> announcing itself as a local master browser for workgroup DOMAIN1 and
> we think we are master. Forcing election.
> [2006/11/17 19:41:55, 0]
> nmbd/nmbd_become_lmb.c:unbecome_local_master_success(149)
>  *****
>
>  Samba name server PDC1 has stopped being a local master browser for
> workgroup DOMAIN1 on subnet 192.168.1.100
>
>  *****
> [2006/11/17 19:42:12, 0]
> nmbd/nmbd_become_lmb.c:become_local_master_stage2(396)
>  *****
>
>  Samba name server PDC1 is now a local master browser for workgroup
> DOMAIN1 on subnet 192.168.1.100
>
>  *****
>
> What is this? What is the problem? Why is this happening?
>
> Clients are Windows XP and only one o two are doing this...

Just Windows clients causing local master browser elections.  Check the
local master (G) and os level (G) are 2 related smb.conf settings you
might want to check out for further information.

If everything is working correctly (name resolution, browsing, shares)
then don't worry about it.  :)

Michael Schurter