[Samba] Hosts allow, SSH and DSL dynamic IPs

mattp52 4xu3pto02 at sneakemail.com
Thu Nov 16 20:57:08 GMT 2006

Hi,

Our small office is running a SAMBA share behind an ADSL modem/router which
we can connect to remotely via SSH tunneling. We've limited access in
smb.conf to a range on the local subnet and (because we have not found a
workaround) the external IP address assigned to the router. Problem is,
whenever the IP of the router is reset, smb.conf requires editing and the
server needs to be restarted.

Is there a way to force the internal address of the router to be passed to
SAMBA so we don't need to do this? The router itself is handling the
firewall and we'd prefer to keep things that way for simplicity's sake. We
are using ddclient on the server itself to update a DynamicDNS service we
are using. The router does not have this feature built-in.

I tried using our DynDNS hostname in smb.conf but it complained about an
invalid IP address. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
M.