[Samba] STATUS_INVALID_LOCK_SEQUENCE when writing to a file....

Brian Cowan brcowan at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 16 02:46:13 GMT 2006

Hi All,

Have any of you seen this little darling of an error
on writing to a
file? The sequence of events goes something like this:
1) File is opened for reading on a Samba server with
oplocks disabled.
Open request is requesting a batch oplock.
2) File open SUCCEEDS. (Should this have happened?)
3) File is read, stat'd etc. over and over.
4) A request comes through to write to the file.
5) STATUS_INVALID_LOCK_SEQUENCE Error happens.

I think that the client had an odd interpretation of
what a batch oplock
let it get away with. There is also a filter driver in
the way that does
odd things (ClearCase MVFS), and this could be
related, but the odd
thing is that the error ONLY happens when accessing
[ClearCase Views on]
Samba shares. I'm thinking that the client thought it
could do anything
it wanted since it thought it had a batch oplock.

My question is, shouldn't the samba server "bounce" an
open request that
includes a request for a Batch Oplock (or any oplock
at all, for that
matter)?

Yes, I have a network trace that shows the problem,
but I can't exactly
sent it out since it contains proprietary information.

Thanks!

Brian Cowan

Samba information:
Samba version:  2.2.8a.

smb.conf file from View server appserv2:
# Samba config file created using

# Global parameters
[global]
         netbios name = appserv2
         netbios aliases = appserv2
         interfaces = 192.168.140.243/255.255.255.0
        include = /usr/local/ct/samba/smb.conf

[smb-test]
         comment = Samba Testing Filesystem
         path = /smb-test
         read only = No
        valid users = dowens pgraves tooladm bpepin

[view]
        comment = MVFS View Storage Container
        path = /view
        read only = Yes

[vstore1]
        comment = ERM View Storage Container
        path = /vstore1
        read only = No

-- smb.conf file included by the above server
# Samba config file created using

# Global parameters
[global]
         workgroup = ENG
         security = domain
         encrypt passwords = yes
         password server = svr1
         username map =
/usr/local/ct/samba/username.map
         password level = 4
         log level = 1
         log file = /opt/local/samba/log/%m.%a
         max log size = 20
         name resolve order = hosts wins bcast lmhosts
         deadtime = 60
         max open files = 8192
         socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY
         load printers = No
         os level = 40
         preferred master = Yes
         wins server = 10.254.66.26
         kernel oplocks = No
         message command = /bin/mail -s 'message from
#% on %m' bpepin
<%s; rm %s
         homedir map = auto.xxx
         comment = Samba ver. %v