[Samba] Samba -> Linux copies fine, Samba -> Windows hangs all existing connections

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at wpkg.org
Thu Nov 16 18:06:24 GMT 2006

Denis wrote:
> Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
>> I'm running Samba 3.0.23c on Debian-arm (unstable), kernel 2.6.18.
>>
>> I can copy files from the Samba server just fine, when I do it from a
>> Linux machine.
>>
>> When I want to copy files from the Samba server to a Windows XP SP2
>> machine (connection made from Windows), it copies a couple of files,
>> and then everything just freezes - Samba doesn't send any more
>> packets, and I have to reconnect all connections.
>>
>> SSH connection is untouched, and this phenomenon concerns only files
>> copied via Samba.
>>
>> Anyone else seen this?
>>

> I have opposite situation, could get files from Windows but Linux fails,
> server runs FreeBSD. From other side I can get files using xsmbrowser
> but it still working very slow and I'm unable to download big file.
>
> Any ideas what could it be?

See my answer I posted earlier - I used these socket options (on Linux
on ARM):

socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_KEEPALIVE SO_RCVBUF=4096
SO_SNDBUF=4096

Also, this page lead me to set the buffers lower:

http://www.dd.iij4u.or.jp/~okuyamak/Documents/tuning.english.html

Replying to Aaron's message:

> Without posting any logs, it's rather difficult to guess.

Samba just logged that the client had disconnected, which was only
partially true, because the client certainly didn't want to connect.

--
Tomasz Chmielewski
http://wpkg.org