[Samba] Samba -> Linux copies fine, Samba -> Windows hangs all existing connections

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at wpkg.org
Thu Nov 16 14:04:38 GMT 2006

Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
> I'm running Samba 3.0.23c on Debian-arm (unstable), kernel 2.6.18.
>
> I can copy files from the Samba server just fine, when I do it from a
> Linux machine.
>
> When I want to copy files from the Samba server to a Windows XP SP2
> machine (connection made from Windows), it copies a couple of files, and
> then everything just freezes - Samba doesn't send any more packets, and
> I have to reconnect all connections.
>
> SSH connection is untouched, and this phenomenon concerns only files
> copied via Samba.
>
> Anyone else seen this?

I solved it by setting:

socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_KEEPALIVE SO_RCVBUF=4096
SO_SNDBUF=4096

in smb.conf.

I wonder if it's specific to ARM?

When I usen 8192 instead of 4096, I had these mysterious hangs and
disconnections.

Linux cifs clients had this logged by the kernel when it happened:

  CIFS VFS: No response to cmd 46 mid 1887
  CIFS VFS: Send error in read = -11
  CIFS VFS: No response to cmd 46 mid 3313
  CIFS VFS: Send error in read = -11
  CIFS VFS: No response to cmd 46 mid 4125
  CIFS VFS: Send error in read = -11
  CIFS VFS: No response to cmd 46 mid 4361
  CIFS VFS: Send error in read = -11
  CIFS VFS: No response to cmd 46 mid 4752
  CIFS VFS: Send error in read = -11

--
Tomasz Chmielewski
http://wpkg.org