[Samba] Weird Samba upload performance on Gigabit network - resolved with new NIC

David Harrison david.harrison at stress-free.co.nz
Wed Nov 15 03:33:40 GMT 2006

On 13/11/2006, at 8:23 AM, David Harrison wrote:

>>> Here's a weird one that may have nothing to do with Samba and
>>> more to do with network frame sizes.
>>> I have recently upgraded the network infrastructure to support
>>> gigabit speeds.
>>> - OSX Tiger to OSX Tiger file transfers operate at gigabit speeds.
>>> - Samba 3.0.23C (Suse 10) to OSX Tiger file transfers operate at
>>> gigabit speeds.
>>> - BUT OSX Tiger to Samba 3.0.23C (Suse 10) file transfers operate
>>> at 1-2meg/second which is well down from expected performance.
>>> The strange thing is if I begin a file transfer from OSX Tiger to
>>> Samba and in a terminal window on OSX begin an SCP copy operation
>>> to the same Suse server the file transfer speed of Samba jumps up
>>> to gigabit level speeds. As soon as the SCP copy operation is
>>> stopped the Samba file transfer process drops to 1-2meg/second
>>> again.
>
> Yes I am running 10.4.8 on the clients.
> Just as a test I have mounted the Samba volume from the command
> line (with mount.cifs and mount.smbfs) and received the same
> performance as through the Finder so if the problem is with 10.4.8
> its at a fairly low level.

I replaced the network card on the Suse box from the Netgear card
(r8169 driver) to a HP NC1020 (tg3 driver).
Samba performance is now at gigabit levels and is very consistent
with multiple Linux (Suse) and OSX (10.4.8) clients.
The Netgear card appears to operate okay as a Samba client on another
machine but still performs poorly when the Samba process is receiving
large quantities of uploaded data.

David