[Samba] Checklist for eDirectory back-end?

David Harrison david.harrison at stress-free.co.nz
Mon Nov 13 22:40:46 GMT 2006

On 14/11/2006, at 11:24 AM, David Harrison wrote:

> On 11/11/2006, at 1:10 PM, Patricio A. Bruna wrote:
>
>> You have to look in Novell site.
>> maybe start in:
>> http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/appnote/11788.html
>
> You may run into trouble as you follow this document through as it
> assumes you have a Novell Open Enterprize Server in the directory
> tree.
> The process of adding an OES system to the tree extends the schema
> in a number of not clearly documented ways.
> If you are not running OES then extending the schema to work with
> correctly with Linux User Manager as described is a very difficult
> task, I could not get it to work on a vanilla eDirectory install
> with all the relevant schema extensions applied (that is the
> extensions I could identify through trial and error).
>
> If you do get Samba/eDirectory authentication working by following
> this article without resorting to adding OES to the tree I would
> like to hear how.
> Considering the power of Samba and Novell's financial interest in
> it you would assume getting eDirectory to work with it cleanly
> would be a much simpler task than what is described above.

Sorry I was mistaken the Novell document I was referring to which
references Linux User Manager and OES is this one:
http://wiki.novell.com/index.php/OES_as_PDC

The document referenced above (http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/
appnote/11788.html) does not utilise Universal Password or provide
any identification functionality above basic user access. This maybe
what you are after but personally I would prefer something that did
not require users to maintain multiple passwords, integrates with
other Windows/Samba servers more closely and provided the smooth
administration experience of the iManager LUM plug-in.

Regards,

David