[Samba] notepad selfstart on login

Paul Gienger pgienger at ae-solutions.com
Mon Nov 13 15:04:10 GMT 2006

What is happening is that the desktop.ini file that is normally hidden is
having those attributes stripped off, possibly because your config does not
allow the windows hidden attribute to be mapped.  The change happens when
the user's roaming profile is copied up to the server on logout and then
copied back with the new unhidden attributes.

Now that the file is visible, it is being 'run' since it is in the startup
folder, and the default app to run an ini file is notepad.

You can either delete the file or figure out what config options you need to
change to allow it to remain 'hidden'.  You will probably have to remove it
on all profiles already showing the behavior since it won't get set back to
hidden.