[Samba] getting linux to authenticate with windows 2003

Bob Jaques bjaques at cablecar.net
Sat Nov 11 00:32:45 GMT 2006

I am setting up samba in a windows 2003 environment and am trying to
confirm kerberos authentication.
When I run kinit on my Linux machine I get a message

kinit administrator at cablecar.local
administrator at cablecar.local's Password
kinit:: krb5_get_init_creds: unable to reach any KDC in realm
cablecar..local

I can ping my domain server by name just fine. Am I missing something
that needs to be either done on windows or on linux
to enable that

 I also tried modifying krb5.conf to no avail also

[libdefaults]
        default_realm = CABLECAR.LOCAL
        clockskew = 300

[realms]
                CABLECAR.LOCAL = {
                kdc = email.cablecar.local
                default_domain = cablecar.local
                kpasswd_server = email.cablecar.local
                admin_server = email.cablecar.local
        }

[domain_realm]
        .cablecar.local = CABLECAR.LOCAL

my windows dns server is the only namesever listed in resolv.conf

I am at a loss what am I missing

thanks
bob