[Samba] Samba v3.0.23c + FreeBSD 6.1 - Failed to set servicePrincipalNames

Raj Pagaku rpagaku at ironport.com
Fri Nov 10 21:24:48 GMT 2006

Thanks Jerry for your response as well as the useful link to the
reference article.

Once I delegated the following Permissions' for the specific 'Domain
User' on the 'Computer Objects' on my AD server, I was able to join the
Samba system to the domain.

Permissions Delegated via the 'Delegation Control Wizard':
1> Allow 'Write DNS Host Name Attributes' property
2> Allow 'Write Service Principal Name' property

I am sharing the steps I performed on my Windows 2003 AD server for
benefit of others:

* Invoke the 'Delegate Control Wizard' for the 'Computers'
* Add the specific 'Domain User' to the 'Selected users and groups'.
* Create a custom task to delegate.
* Select the 'Computer Objects'
* Select the 'Property-Specific'. Then select the 'Write dNSHostName'
and the 'Write servicePrincipalName'
* Finish your task

If there are any known side-effects of delegating these permissions,
please let me know.

Thanks
Raj Pagaku