[Samba] can't browse via network neighbourhood

rich rich at thevillas.eclipse.co.uk
Thu Nov 9 11:00:11 GMT 2006

Hi,
i'm running samba Version 3.0.22 on solaris 8.
In my previous version of samba, windows  users  could browse to their
shares through network neighbourhood.
They can no longer do this and have to manually map each drive. Any
ideas why this might be? My smb.conf is below.

The error says the network name cannot be found

TIA,
Rich

[global]
    workgroup = TEST
    server string = test Samba Server
    unix password sync = Yes
    log level = 2
    log file = /var/log/samba/samba.log.%m
    max log size = 50
    wins support = Yes
    invalid users = bin, web, daemon, adm, sync, shutdown, halt, mail,
news, uucp, operator, nuucp, lp, listen, nobody
    create mask = 0777
    directory mask = 0777
    hosts allow = 192.168.1., localhost

[homes]
    comment = Home Directories
    path = /home/%u
    read only = No
    guest ok = Yes
    browseable = No

[shares]
    comment = File sharing area
    path = /data/shares/
    valid users = trevor, thomas, kev, brian
    read only = No
    volume = data-share