[Samba] Samba v3.0.23c + FreeBSD 6.1 - Failed to set servicePrincipalNames

Raj Pagaku rpagaku at ironport.com
Thu Nov 9 00:25:12 GMT 2006

I tried the suggested solution and i still run into the same issue (Further searching in the Samba list led me to another thread where the same solution was proposed, don't know whether that worked for the thread originator)

wsa29:] net ads join -s /etc/samba/smb.conf -Uolympus
olympus's password:
Using short domain name -- CHILD1
Failed to set servicePrincipalNames. Please ensure that
the DNS domain of this server matches the AD domain,
Or rejoin with using Domain Admin credentials.
Disabled account for 'WSA29' in realm 'CHILD1.AD.WGA'

After I execute the above command, I see that my system is listed in the AD server 'Computer' list but has a red 'x' symbol to indicate that it is disabled.

However if I execute the command 'net ads status -s /etc/samba/smb.conf -Uolympus' after the 'net ads join' command, I am able to retrieve status information properly.

-Raj