[Samba] Can't change passwords samba 3.0.23c

Dan samba at the-rusty-nail.com
Tue Nov 7 17:13:23 GMT 2006

I have been using samba for many years now and just recently I upgraded
from 3.0.9 to 3.0.23c and now I can not change domain passwords from the
windows box.  I am using an openldap backend and everything works fine
from the command line running smbldap-passwd but I get "unable to change
the password on this account due to the following error:  31 : A device
attached to the system is not functioning"  There is nothing showing in
the logs as there being a problem.  I have never see this error and am
stumped on even where to begin.  Has anyone have any suggestions?