[Samba] Samba 3.0.10 / Solaris 8 / Windows 2003

Brad Isbell bisbell at seedsofgenius.com
Mon Nov 6 20:59:36 GMT 2006

My Configuration-
Solaris 8 - hostname = vail
Samba 3.0.10 (downloaded from sunfreeware.com)
As per the instructions on sunfreeware, I have also installed the
following packages-
libgcc-3.3
libiconv-1.9.2
libintl-3.4.0
ncurses-5.4
popt 1.7
readline 5.1

Also on my network-
A Windows 2003 ES domain controller: hostname = SEEDS1  domain = SEEDS
A Windows 2003 ES system: hostname = SEEDS2 member of domain SEEDS

Objective:
All I want is for my users on the windows hosts to be able to access
shared resources from the samba server.  I want all authentication to go
through the DC, I do not want to have to maintain a local smbpasswd file.

Problem:
When I put a directory search path of \\vail\Samba into the Windows
system it prompts for a username and password.  When I put in the
username and password of a domain account I do not get access to the
share.  I can log into a windows system with the domain information, so
I know it's not a problem with the domain configuration.

smb configuration from log.smbd:
  Processing section "[global]"
  doing parameter workgroup = SEEDS
  doing parameter server string = Samba Server
  doing parameter security = domain
  doing parameter encrypt passwords = yes
  doing parameter load printers = yes
  doing parameter log file = /usr/local/samba/var/log.%m
  doing parameter max log size = 50
  doing parameter socket options = TCP_NODELAY
  doing parameter dns proxy = no
[2006/11/06 14:26:12, 2] param/loadparm.c:do_section(3412)
  Processing section "[homes]"
  doing parameter comment = Home Directories
  doing parameter browseable = no
  doing parameter writable = yes
[2006/11/06 14:26:12, 2] param/loadparm.c:do_section(3412)
  Processing section "[SAMBA]"
  doing parameter comment = Samba Packages
  doing parameter path = /export/Samba
  doing parameter public = yes
  doing parameter writeable = no
[2006/11/06 14:26:12, 2] param/loadparm.c:do_section(3412)
  Processing section "[printers]"
  doing parameter comment = All Printers
  doing parameter path = /usr/spool/samba
  doing parameter browseable = no
  doing parameter guest ok = no
  doing parameter writable = no
  doing parameter printable = yes

Tests on Samba server.
These tests show that the Samba server does have access to the domain.

Test 1 : use wbinfo to authenticate user account  - SUCCESS
# wbinfo -a bisbell%PASSWORD
plaintext password authentication failed
error code was NT_STATUS_NO_SUCH_USER (0xc0000064)
error messsage was: No such user
Could not authenticate user bisbell%PASSWORD with plaintext password
challenge/response password authentication succeeded

Test 2:  Use wbinfo to show that domain info is accessable - SUCCESS
# wbinfo -u
SEEDS\Administrator
SEEDS\bisbell
SEEDS\cowens
SEEDS\Guest
SEEDS\krbtgt

# wbinfo -g
BUILTIN\System Operators
BUILTIN\Replicators
BUILTIN\Guests
BUILTIN\Power Users
BUILTIN\Print Operators
BUILTIN\Administrators
BUILTIN\Account Operators
BUILTIN\Backup Operators
BUILTIN\Users
SEEDS\Domain Admins
SEEDS\Domain Users
SEEDS\Domain Guests
SEEDS\Domain Computers
SEEDS\Domain Controllers
SEEDS\Schema Admins
SEEDS\Enterprise Admins
SEEDS\Group Policy Creator Owners
SEEDS\DnsUpdateProxy

Possible Related Problems-

The smbclient command does not work.
# smbclient -U bisbell //vail/Samba
Password:

session setup failed: NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE

smbtree produces no output
# smbtree
password:

#