[Samba] Fedora Core 5 and Windows 98

Samuel Santiago sam at santiagoconsulting.net
Mon May 29 02:06:39 GMT 2006

Greetings All,

My problem is trying to mount an SMB share from Fedora Core5 to a
Windows 98 Machine. Before upgrading from FC4 to FC5 everything worked.
I have searched around and it appears that the smbmount and mount -t
smbfs options have been deprecated in Samba 3.0.22-1 in favor of CIFS.
The command I have been trying now is:

mount -t cifs //192.168.0.126/laptop /mnt/share -o username=chime

whereas I used to be able to do...

mount -t smbfs //192.168.0.126/laptop /mnt/share -o username=chime

but the problem I have now is that it won't mount. I get an error

mount error 112 = Host is down

The host is NOT down, that is the IP address of the laptop running
Windows 98 with file and print sharing enabled, and I have named the
share "laptop". There is no Firewall installed blocking any ports on the
98 machine.
I can ping it and no other config on it has changed. The only change was
going from FC4 to FC5. Here are the results of my smb.conf testparm

Server role: ROLE_STANDALONE
[global]
server string = Linux Server
guest account = guest