[Samba] Roaming Profiles

Jonathan Johnson jon at sutinen.com
Thu May 25 15:21:15 GMT 2006

On 5/25/2006 12:04 AM, Morné du Plessis wrote:
> I am using Mandrake 9.2, Samba 2.4 version as a PDC. How do I enable the
> roaming profiles on the server via /etc/samba/smb.conf?

Please note that the Samba 2 series is considered obsolete and no longer
supported. The documentation for Samba 3 should be roughly similar. Be
aware that there are many pitfalls when using roaming profiles:
workstations should be very similar if not identical in setup and
software; Outlook Express kills roaming profiles; learn how to redirect
certain paths to network drives so they don't need to be sync'd with
roaming profiles; etc.

When you upgrade to Samba 3, you will find this documented in the The
Official Samba-3 HOWTO and Reference Guide,
http://us2.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/

The section you will wish to read is Chapter 26 (Desktop Profile
Management).
http://us2.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/ProfileMgmt.html

Next time, PLEASE read the fine manual before posting a question with
well-documented answers. We won't do your homework for you.

--Jon Johnson
Sutinen Consulting, Inc.
www.sutinen.com
(360) 270-9317 cell