[Samba] Linux - Automount with password prompt

Ken D'Ambrosio ken at jots.org
Tue May 23 20:54:07 GMT 2006

On Tue, May 23, 2006 4:31 pm, Aaron Couts wrote:
> Hello,
> I'd like to enable automounting of Samba shares during linux startup, but
> I don't want to store any passwords in fstab or .credentials.  Is there
> any way to prompt the user for a password during startup?  I'm running
> Redhat Enterprise Linux 3.0.

With all due respect, then you probably don't want to be using fstab or
the like; instead, have it be a user-side script they can execute, instead
of having to watch console output -- which can be difficult to interact
with, regardless, and would probably cause you boot problems if the user
failed to interact with it.

$.02,

-Ken