[Samba] copy of smbpasswd

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Tue May 23 12:23:24 GMT 2006

On Monday 22 May 2006 22:25, C.Rathnasinghe wrote:
> Hi
> I have same problem exactly U got,  even I post earlier to this group
> but didn't get any help If U do resolve this Please update me also. thanks.

Before asking for help did it is a good idea to check available documentation.
Did either of you happen to check chapter 8 of the book "Samba-3 by Example"?

	http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/Samba3-ByExample.pdf

This chapter was written to help those who need to migrate, update, or upgrade
a Samba server. Is this information what you need? If not - file a bug
report!

- John T.

> chami
>
> Tom Haerens wrote:
> > Hi,
> >

> > I have to move our old samba file server to a new machine.
> > The old samba server was a RedHat8 with samba 2.2.5.  The new one is
> > SLES9 with samba 3.0.2b-3.4 SuSE
> >
> > Is there a way to re-use the old smbpasswd file?
> >
> > In the log-files I can see that the authentication fails when I try to
> > access a shared folder.
> > A windows client keeps on asking the login and password.
> >
> > Is it possible to re-use the smbpasswd file?
> >
> > When I create a new smbpasswd file, everything works fine.
> > But, I want to avoid that everybody has to re-enter his or her
> > password...
> >

> > Kind Regards,
> > Tom

> This e-mail message is confidential and for use by the addressee only.
> If the message is received by anyone other than the addressee, please
> return the message to the sender by replying to it and then delete the
> message from your computer. Internet e-mails are not necessarily
> secure.Ministry of Finance & Planning does not accept responsibility for
> changes made to this message after it was sent.
>
> Whilst all reasonable care has been taken to avoid the transmission of
> viruses, it is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure that the
> onward transmission, opening or use of this message and any attachments
> will not adversely affect its systems or data. No responsibility is
> accepted by Ministry of Finance & Planning Sri Lanka in this regard.

John H Terpstra
Samba-Team Member
Phone: +1 (650) 580-8668

Author:
The Official Samba-3 HOWTO & Reference Guide, 2 Ed., ISBN: 0131882228
Samba-3 by Example, 2 Ed., ISBN: 0131882221X
Hardening Linux, ISBN: 0072254971
Other books in production.