[Samba] samba 4 & openldap?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sun May 21 02:14:46 GMT 2006

On Sat, 2006-05-20 at 19:59 +0200, Mark Hannessen wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> does anyone have any info about openldap and samba4?
> whether it can be done? are there schema changes?, etc
>
> reason I ask is, I'd like to give samba 4 a try. (not for production, just to
> see who it's working, for later adoption) but I would also like to keep using
> my openldap server.

I gave a talk at SambaXP on the topic, and the challenges of using an
external LDAP server (rather than our internal database) for the primary
data store.  Currently, it just isn't an option to use OpenLDAP.

What we need to work out is how much we need to change both OpenLDAP (in
such arrangements.  I'm hoping to do some further research work in this
area soon.

Andrew Bartlett