[Samba] Windows 98 connection problems on MacOSX

robert b jsp7rc002 at sneakemail.com
Sat May 20 15:52:24 GMT 2006

I'm having problems connecting to a Samba server from my Windows 98 machine.  Ultimately, I would like printing to work.  But, I'm just trying to get the "homes" part to work first.

Samba 3.x is running on a Mac OSX 10.4.  I can connect using smbclient on both the Mac itself and on my Linux machine.  For example,

$ smbclient //mini/noelle

works.  It asks for a password, I type it in and I'm in.  But, when I try

\\MINI\noelle

from my Windows 98 machine, it always fails.  It asks for a password, I type it in, and it says "The password is incorrect.  Try again".  Also, it says "Resource \\MINI\IPC$".

I had had "encrypt passwords = no" and smbclient wouldn't work.  But, after I changed it to "encrypt passwords = yes", it started working.

I tried adding the "log level = 5" hoping that I would get more diagnostics about what is happening, but it produces no more diagnostics.  At least, not on this Mac.

I included my smb.conf below.

Any help in trying to figure out what's happening, I'd appreciate it.

[global]
  log level = 5
  guest account = unknown
  valid users = robertsmb noelle robert