[Samba] domain name vs ip address causes refresh problem and lowercase vs capitol folder names - how to fix refresh issue?

jetpeach jetster at gmail.com
Thu May 18 21:15:02 GMT 2006

I have Samba 3.022 and have run into a curious problem - when I access my
shared folders over the internet using Windows XP, I get different behavior
whether I put the domain name (e.g. \\mydomain.com) versus if I put my
direct ip address in (e.g. \\12.34.56.78) when accessing my shares.

First, the first screen listing all the shares is in all caps when using the
domain name but in lowercase when using the ip address.  No big deal here, I
don't really care but it's curious.

But the real problem is with refreshing the directories after making any
changes when using the domain name.  If I rename or move a folder, it will
not be refreshed unless I hit F5.  This is not a problem when using the IP
address directly.

So I can just use the IP directly for now, but I am trying to debug the
problem because my IP isn't static and it would be nice to have access using
the domain name.  I've fiddled with options such as dns proxy = yes and
such, but nothing seems to have made a different.  Any advice would be much
appreciated.  I included my smb.conf file below.

Thanks very much in advance!
jet