[Samba] no route to host

Doug VanLeuven roamdad at sonic.net
Wed May 17 17:27:17 GMT 2006

Alessio Bandini wrote:
> Hello,
>
> First of all sorry for my English.
>
> I am experiencing with Samba and I have a problem.
> I have an old server (OLD) with Red Hat 9 and Samba 2.2.7a that is
> working well.
> Now I try to start up a new server (NEW) with Red Hat Enterprise 4 and
> Samba 3.0.22.
> If I try to connect from NEW to itself by using smbclient I got the
> shared resources list correctly. If I try to connect to NEW from OLD,
> always using smbclient, I receive the message:
>
> added interface ip=XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX bcast=XXX.XXX.X.255 nmask=255.255.255.0
> error connecting to YYY.YYY.YYY.YYY:139 (No route to host)

If you have a firewall on the new server that rejects access to
port 139, one would expect this behavior.

There should be a firewall setup program.  Make sure to allow access
to smb ports 137-138 and 445.

I've not used RH Enterprise 4, but Fedora, an offshoot, the rpm
is system-config-securitylevel and so is the command name to run
the program.

> Error connecting to YYY.YYY.YYY.YYY (No route to host)
> Connection to YYY.YYY.YYY.YYY failed
>
> Supposing that XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX is the OLD server address and
> YYY.YYY.YYY.YYY is the NEW server address.
>
> I try to find in documentation and in other resources but I found nothing.
> Could you help me.
>
> Thank you.

Regards, Doug