[Samba] smbpasswd and /etc/samba/smbusers

Felipe Alfaro Solana felipe.alfaro at gmail.com
Tue May 16 20:05:06 GMT 2006

Hi,

I've been Googling around trying to found why I can't make SAMBA
(concretely smbpasswd and pdbedit) make good use of the information
held in the file /etc/samba/smbusers. I have done a clean install of
Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES 4.1 Update 3 (both x86_64 and IA32) and
Fedora Core 5. In all cases, running the following command fails:

# smbpasswd -a Administrator
New SMB password:
Retype new SMB password:
Failed to initialise SAM_ACCOUNT for user Administrator. Does this
user exist in the UNIX password database ?
Failed to modify password entry for user Administrator

Even though /etc/samba/smbusers look like this:

root = Administrator admin
guest = nobody

Running:

# smbpasswd -a root

Works fine, however.

I don't understand why both smbpasswd and pdbedit ignore the user
mapping defined in /etc/samba/smbusers.

Any ideas? Am I wrong?
Thanks!