[Samba] winbind and AD password updates

Pierre Ossman ossman at cendio.se
Mon May 15 08:46:47 GMT 2006

Hi!

I've been trying to get password changes to work from a SuSE machine to
an AD server. Authentication works fine in AD mode, so at least that bit
is correct.

When trying to change the password, I get PAM error 4 back. Checking in
the logs, I see that winbind fails with the error
NT_STATUS_PASSWORD_RESTRICTION.

 From Microsoft's documentation, I can read that this means that there
is some password policy that's rejecting the new password. But I cannot
find any such policy on the server, so I'm wondering if this can be
caused by something else?

I'm also a bit confused as to how I can get NT error codes in AD mode.
Isn't it supposed to talk kerberos?

--
Pierre Ossman                Telephone: +46-13-21 46 00
Cendio AB                    Web: http://www.cendio.com