[Samba] Everything but [Homes] works

Stephen Carville effcee at heronforge.net
Mon May 15 01:50:26 GMT 2006

I am migrating from my "old" 2.2.7 samba server to a newer server runnig
  3.0.20a and everythig is working except the [homes] share.  The server
(FILE-CABINET) is a member of the domain, security is set to ADS and, as
far as I can tell, kerberos is working. The program wbinfo returns a
list of users and groups like it should.  getent passwd returns first my
local passwd file and then the list of windows users.  nscd is off.

authentication seems to be working:

$ sudo wbinfo -a scarville%<password>
plaintext password authentication failed
error code was NT_STATUS_NO_SUCH_USER (0xc0000064)
error messsage was: No such user
Could not authenticate user scarville%<password> with plaintext password
challenge/response password authentication succeeded

I'm currently testing from a Window 2003 terminal server and, If I use
run->\\file-cabinet I can see all the listed shares and all _except_ the
home directory are accessible.

Usually a few minutes with Google is all I need to solve Samba problem
but not this time.

Samba version: 3.0.20a

I have in nsswitch.conf:

passwd:     files winbind