[Samba] samba 3.0.22 and OS/2 connectivity

Peter Brown losepete at ntlworld.com
Fri May 12 19:39:06 GMT 2006

Hi All

I have a Linksys NSLU2 device which is used to hook USB2 drives upto my
network as network attached storage.

The Linksys firmware upgrade for this device includes samba 3.0.11 which
is a non-starter regarding OS/2 connectivity.

There is an alternative firmware based on the Linksys firmware called
Unslung from http://www.nslu2-linux.org/

The Unslung firmware allows "unslinging" the operating system from
firmware to disk and allows upgrade and additional packages.

Having followed the instructions carefully I managed to "Unsling" the
NSLU2 and apply the samba 3.0.22 upgrade available for this system.

After a bit of hunting around I managed to find the smb.conf parameter
that allows OS/2 based systems to access samba shares and can now read
from the shares fine.

What I cannot do is write easily to any of the shares; ie Selecting a
folder on my local drive and dragging it to a shared folder on the NSLU2
results in this OS/2  error:-

SYS0266 : The specified file was not copied

Inspecting the shared folder reveals that the folder has been created
but is empty - no file copying performed.

I investigated command line alternatives to copying files using xcopy
with some strange results.

In these screensnaps S: is a mapped drive of the nslu2 share /disk2 aka
"For everyone"

[S:\Pete]xcopy i:\temp temp /s /e /v /h /t /r
The current target for XCOPY, temp,
can be a directory or file name and must be specified.  Respond Y
if the target is a directory or N if the target is a file name.

Does temp specify a directory (Y/N)? y
SYS1693: The system cannot create the directory.

0 file(s) copied.

[S:\Pete]

If I make a directory, change to that directory and then perform an
xcopy it works:-

[S:\Pete\temp]xcopy j:\temp\* /s /e /v /h /t /r
The extended attributes for the file or directory were
discarded because the target file system does not support them.

The extended attributes for the file or directory were
discarded because the target file system does not support them.

Source files are being read...

J:\temp\History.txt
J:\temp\ide.txt
J:\temp\OS2_Install.exe
J:\temp\OS2_UnZip.exe
J:\temp\WDSibyl.dat

5 file(s) copied.

[S:\Pete\temp]

But if the source contains a subdirectory I get an error and the whole
process stops:-

[S:\Pete\temp]md PostArmor

[S:\Pete\temp]cd PostArmor

[S:\Pete\temp\PostArmor]xcopy j:\PostArmor\* /s /e /v /h /t /r
The extended attributes for the file or directory were
discarded because the target file system does not support them.

The extended attributes for the file or directory were
discarded because the target file system does not support them.

Source files are being read...

SYS1248: A subdirectory or file S:\Pete\temp\PostArmor\docs already exists.

0 file(s) copied.

[S:\Pete\temp\PostArmor]

I tried getting around that error with the xcopy /o parameter:-

[S:\Pete\temp\PostArmor]xcopy j:\PostArmor\* /s /e /v /h /t /r /o
The extended attributes for the file or directory were
discarded because the target file system does not support them.

The extended attributes for the file or directory were
discarded because the target file system does not support them.

Source files are being read...

The extended attributes for the file or directory were
discarded because the target file system does not support them.

SYS1248: A subdirectory or file S:\Pete\temp\PostArmor\docs\images
already exists.

0 file(s) copied.

Needless to say whatever I have done to the samba configuration does not
seem to upset Windows2000 - I can startup my VPC w2k installation and
have no problems at all accessing the nslu2 shares for reading and
writing...

I am now starting to wonder if there is something a little flaky as
regards samba 3.0.22 and OS/2 connectivity? - or is there some secret
parameter I've missed in the smb.conf file?

Any/All help appreciated.

Pete