[Samba] samba errors - "No buffer space available"

eric roseme eroseme at emonster.rose.hp.com
Fri May 12 15:14:04 GMT 2006

Ryan Novosielski wrote:
> Allen, Bill wrote:
>
>> I am new to Samba, having just taken over management of a HPUX system in
>> a mainly Windows environment.  The system is running Samba 3.0.7.  I am
>> getting the following errors, repeatedly, in my log.smbd.  What does it
>> mean?  Is this actually a problem or normal chatter for Samba?  If it is
>> a problem, what should I do to correct it?
>>

>> [2006/05/03 07:41:38, 0] lib/util_sock.c:set_socket_options(202)
>>   Failed to set socket option SO_KEEPALIVE (Error Invalid argument)
>> [2006/05/03 07:41:38, 0] lib/util_sock.c:set_socket_options(202)
>>   Failed to set socket option TCP_NODELAY (Error Invalid argument)
>> [2006/05/03 07:41:38, 0] lib/util_sock.c:get_peer_addr(1000)
>>   getpeername failed. Error was Invalid argument
>> [2006/05/03 07:41:39, 0] smbd/server.c:open_sockets_smbd(382)
>>   open_sockets_smbd: accept: No buffer space available
>>
>>  Thanks for any help or advice,
>>
>> Bill
>>

> When you find out, let me know. :) It's been that way for ages on my
> system. The two socket option messages are related to header related
> problems, if I'm not mistaken, but it's really not a big deal. Do you
> have either of those defined in smb.conf?
>
> As far as the buffer thing... this concerned me for along time. I can't
> remember whether this got any better or worse, but there's a lot wrong
> with 3.0.7 on HP-UX. I would not run anything earlier than 3.0.14 on an
> HP-UX system.

Are you running Opensource Samba or HP CIFS Server?  For HP CIFS, you
should not see the socket option errors, but the buffer space log entry
could be any number of things.  Ryan is correct - you should be up on
3.0.14 (HP CIFS Server A.02.02.01).

Make sure that you have your nfiles, nflocks, and nprocs set correctly -
see the most recent Admin Guide on page 258
(http://docs.hp.com/en/B8725-90101/B8725-90101.pdf).  We may have
located a locking problem (!) that could cause the entry, but it is at a
site that connects with smbclient.  Also, if your users are connecting
and disconnecting often (like at a school - everybody disconnects and
connects on the hour) then that could do it too.

I have not seen a case where the buffer space log entry has accompanied
a problem on the server.  I enquire about this from every site that
reports it, but so far, no one has seen a problem.  If you see it
differently, then please let me know.

Eric Roseme
Hewlett-Packard