[Samba] Problem with adding printer drivers in Windows XP

Ryan Novosielski novosirj at umdnj.edu
Fri May 12 04:42:36 GMT 2006

Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:

> Tom wrote:
>

>> Well, I'm trying to add drivers to the server through the Properties
>> dialog box for my printer. Right click on the printer, left click
>> Properties, Advanced tab, New Driver button type of thing. Except that
>> the New Driver button is greyed out. I've checked and my user has the
>> SePrintOperatorPrivilege rights assigned to him but it still does not
>> work.
>>

> * jerry gazes into his crystal ball and then steps up to the mic....
>
> Do you have 'use client driver = yes' ?  If so, disable it
> (the default setting).

This is a rhetorical question, because I do not know the answer -- does
this user need to be a member of "Domain Admins"?

Tom, try "net groupmap list" and see what group is mapped to "Domain
Admins" -- is the user you're connecting as a member of that group? If
not, does making sure that they are make a difference? I'd also ask you
to check to make sure privileges are turned on, but if they weren't,
attempting to add PrintOperatorPrivilege would have failed with
NT_STATUS_NO_SUCH_PRIVILEGE or equivalent.

BTW, do you have a [print$] defined, with the proper tree created
beneath it? The directories all have to be there first. Check your logs
for red flags, if there are any. Generally things break farther down the
line, though, so I'm pretty sure it's Samba permissions.

--
|Y#| |  | |\/| |  \ |\ |  | | Ryan Novosielski - User Support Spec. III
|$&| |__| |  | |__/ | \| _| | novosirj at umdnj.edu - 973/972.0922 (2-0922)
\__/ Univ. of Med. and Dent.| IST/AST - NJMS Medical Science Bldg - C630