[Samba] Performance issue on AIX when deleting files in adirectory with a large number of files

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Thu May 11 22:54:17 GMT 2006

On Thu, May 11, 2006 at 06:50:01PM -0400, William Jojo wrote:

> Hmmmmm, right. I'm seeing stats on each delete on AIX (like a 10-15
> second pause between each) and on the re-scan.
>
> The deletes on FC3 were snappy followed by a long pause which was the
> rescan.
>
> <taps chin>
>
> I wonder why all the stats are happening on AIX between deletes and not on
> FC3.
>
> <grabs shovel>

Do you see the change notify replies happening followed by the
change notify setups ? I bet I know what it is....

Because AIX doesn't have kernel change notify when the change
notify setup comes (which happens after every delete) it causes a
directory rescan at that point - after *each* delete !

Jeremy.