[Samba] Performance issue on AIX when deleting files in adirectory with a large number of files

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Thu May 11 22:34:32 GMT 2006

On Thu, May 11, 2006 at 01:42:59PM -0400, William Jojo wrote:

> Certainly. :-) After the initial window refresh of all the files, select any
> 15 or so consecutive objects (location seems to make no difference for me),
> smack the delete key and confirm.

Ok, I see what happens. Client opens each file in turn, sets delete on close,
then closes - we send a changenotify - client sets another change notify up
on the directory - repeat until all the files are deleted, then the client
(explorer) re-scans the directory using findfirst/findnext with a * wildcard.

It's the last action that's causing a stat on each remaining file in the
directory. I don't see anything out of the ordinary here....

Jeremy.