[Samba] Re: proposed list of parameter to remove in 3.0.23

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu May 11 22:14:56 GMT 2006

On Thu, 2006-05-11 at 09:04 -0700, Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:

> Ryan Novosielski wrote:
>
> > I guess I must be getting ldapsam confused with some other variety of
> > ldapsam then? That's the only one I know of that I currently use
> > (however, it is because of a plan to MOVE to LDAP, not because we're
> > currently using it).
>
> - --with-ldapsam is only the 2.2 backwards compatible option
> and is used to implement the ldap server and ldap port
> parameters.  It has no direct effect on 'passdb backend = ldapsam'
>
> In smb.conf you will still be able to configure 'passdb
> backend = ldapsam_compat:ldap://localhost' if you need to
> the older 2.2 compatible schema (although I would like to
> remove that option at some point as well.

When we were looking to publish the original 3.0, I lobbied to keep
--with-ldapsam as meaning 'do much as what Samba 2.2 did', because we
had a lot of documentation that told users to do this.  I also wanted it
to be easier to upgrade.

I'm far from certain it remains a good idea.  2.2 is long past, and it
just confuses users now.

Andrew Bartlett