[Samba] Samba over Debian Sarge 3.1 R1. This File server store MDBand XLS files.

scott samba at preventionpartners.com
Thu May 11 21:54:01 GMT 2006

Daniel,

I am running Debian-sarge as well.  I have one samba server that serves as my PDC and one samba server that is a domain member server.

Now, I'm a newbie, still learning, and I probably wouldn't know if the performance on our servers is good or not.  So, please take this for what it is worth (probably not much).  I have only  7-10 XP clients that access these servers, and folks are not complaining about the performance.  It's been awhile since I setup my PDC, but I remember scouring the Samba Command Option Quick Reference for recommendations, and here are the performance settings that I am using:

; ******************************
; Performance Settings
; ******************************
socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192
oplocks = yes
strict locking = no
hide dot files = yes
wide links = yes