[Samba] Performance issue on AIX when deleting files in a directory with a large number of files

Claus Lund clund at tax.state.vt.us
Thu May 11 17:57:46 GMT 2006

> Confirmed on FC3/ext3 and AIX/JFS2/JFS. statx's still being done between
> deletes. I'm using same settings as Claus and all files are in the form
> "file%d" (0 through 149999).
>
> Now for me the initial display of files is ~30 seconds.
>
> AIX delete shows a slow meter with 20,15,... seconds remaining.
>
> FC3 delete show a fast meter, but then the window hangs for 30
> more seconds.
> top shows the smbd using 50%+ of cpu. (mind you FC3 is in vmware 5 on my
> T43)
>
> Jeremy, do you want me to test FC4 as well?
>

> Cheers,
>
> Bill

It sounds like you're getting better performance than me? I am currently
testing on a directory with 30,000 12KB files (xfile%d 0-29999). The server
has a single p5+ 1.9GHz CPU.
When I pull up the directory in Windows Explorer then that takes maybe a
couple of seconds. I then highlight all the files and hit delete. It then
goes back and forth between the server and client for almost three minutes
(client CPU utilization hitting 100% a good chunk of that time) before it
finally pops up with the little warning box asking me if I'm sure I want to
delete 30,000 files. When it starts deleting then CPU utilization on the
server goes to 100% (and CPU utilization on the client goes down near 0%).
Some quick measurements say that it's deleting about 100 files per minute.

When I tested it on an Ubuntu Dapper test box (Apache 3.0.22, ext2, default
settings) then it deleted all of the 30K files in a couple of minutes.

Here's the output from testparm on my AIX test box:

[global]
        workgroup = UXGROUP
        server string = Tax178
        security = SERVER
        map to guest = Bad User
        password server = 10.0.89.201
        log file = /var/samba/log.%m
        max log size = 150
        change notify timeout = 99999999
        socket address = 10.0.89.178
        create mask = 0600
        directory mask = 0700
        hosts allow = 127.0.0.1, 10.0.89., 10.0.88.
        hosts deny = 0.0.0.0/0

[smbtest2]
        comment = Test space 2
        path = /datavg/smbtest2