[Samba] Performance issue on AIX when deleting files in adirectory with a large number of files

William Jojo jojowil at hvcc.edu
Thu May 11 17:26:58 GMT 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "Claus Lund" <clund at tax.state.vt.us>
To: "Jeremy Allison" <jra at samba.org>
Cc: <samba at lists.samba.org>; <jojowil at samba.org>
Sent: Thursday, May 11, 2006 1:03 PM
Subject: RE: [Samba] Performance issue on AIX when deleting files in
adirectory with a large number of files

> > > I tried changing the settings per this HOWTO:
> > > http://mirrors.uol.com.br/pub/samba/HOWTO/Samba-LargeDirectory-HOWTO
> > >
> > > Using:
> > >         case sensitive = True
> > >         default case = lower
> > >         preserve case = no
> > >         short preserve case = no
> > >
> > > on my big share and it did not make any difference.
> >
> > Did you canonicalize all the filenames in there to lower case
> > after making these changes ?
> >

> Yes, all the filenames are lower case.

Confirmed on FC3/ext3 and AIX/JFS2/JFS. statx's still being done between
deletes. I'm using same settings as Claus and all files are in the form
"file%d" (0 through 149999).

Now for me the initial display of files is ~30 seconds.

AIX delete shows a slow meter with 20,15,... seconds remaining.

FC3 delete show a fast meter, but then the window hangs for 30 more seconds.
top shows the smbd using 50%+ of cpu. (mind you FC3 is in vmware 5 on my
T43)

Jeremy, do you want me to test FC4 as well?

Cheers,

Bill