[Samba] rpcclient enumdrivers fails with WERR_UNKNOWN_PRINTER_DRIVER

Ryan Novosielski novosirj at umdnj.edu
Thu May 11 16:01:54 GMT 2006

Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:
> Urs-Jakob Rueetschi wrote:
>>> Hello
>>>
>>> I've just updated to Samba version 3.0.22 (previously v3.0.4a)
>>> and get the following problem:
>>>
>>> rpcclient enumdrivers fails with WERR_UNKNOWN_PRINTER_DRIVER
>>> while rpcclient getdriver works just fine!  Can this be?
>>>
>>> $ rpcclient -c enumdrivers GUTENBERG
>>> Password: ********
>>> result was WERR_UNKNOWN_PRINTER_DRIVER
>
> EnumDrivers() does take a printer an as argument IIRC.

Not so, according to 'man rpcclient':

enumdrivers [level]
      Execute an EnumPrinterDrivers() call. This lists the various  in-
      stalled  printer  drivers  for all architectures. Refer to the MS
      Platform SDK documentation for more details of the various  flags
      and  calling  options.  Currently supported info levels are 1, 2,
      and 3.

This is another one that's been broken for me for ages. I think it used
to work before I had any/many drivers on the system. Once I got a few
installed, however, all bets were off. My personal wild guess is a
punctuation issue. I've run into this before, where a driver .INF
included punctuation somewhere in the driver spec that got
misinterpreted -- in that case I believe it was a parenthesis.

Here's what I get running that command:

rpcclient $> enumdrivers
result was WERR_UNKNOWN_PRINTER_DRIVER

What sort of info would be helpful to track this down? Level 10 debug, I
suppose?

--